Thursday, March 20, 2008

Growing Pains



Tomorrow is John's 30th birthday. We have so much to celebrate- sure, it's a landmark year, but more than that, I want to recognize John's incredible growth as a person and all that we've overcome since his 29th birthday.

This year John and I have struggled through some pretty huge challenges. The life of an entrepreneur is difficult and stressful. Business partners leave, clients don't pay, and every little task falls to you. That stress, plus the natural ebbs and flows of clinical depression, have led to the worst depression that John has ever experienced. So many people suffer from depression, many of my dear friends and family members, and I am lucky to not have that particular trial in my life. However, being the spouse of someone with depression is a uniquely painful challenge. To see your most cherished friend and partner in so much pain and not be able to fix it is incredibly hard. It's also difficult to find the right balance with everything- How much do I sympathize and empathize and make allowances? How much do I encourage and push? The line between what is helpful and what is hurtful is very, very thin.

I do feel blessed that the social stigma about mental illness is lessening every day. It is REAL and it is serious. But it's still hard for me to admit our struggles publicly sometimes. Why should I be reluctant to talk about it? If my husband had cancer, would I be so reticent to reach out to friends and family for support? It's an ongoing battle in my head- the desire to "save face" and the desire to share openly are dueling. (Sharing openly is winning recently...)

I am so happy to say that he is doing much better now (after lifestyle, business, and medication changes). I feel like Spring is arriving in Utah and in our life simultaneously. We are so blessed and we feel supported by our family and friends and can say we have truly seen the Lord's hand in our lives. After a lot of prayer and contemplation, we decided to move on from Comma Development as a full-time business and for Johnny to seek a new job. Luckily, he's found a company that is just like what he wanted his own company to become- a fun environment of talented individuals working on interesting projects. It's called Code>Greene. We feel so lucky to be associated with them. John and Richard (our incredibly patient and wonderful business partner and brother-in-law) will continue to keep Comma Development as side business.

I'm looking forward to a new year, a new decade of life for us and especially for John.

8 comments:

  1. happy birthday! We love you guys and we're always here to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you guys! i'm happy that we are friends and you always make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday John! Barb if you ever want to talk about the whole depression thing I would love to talk. I have it in my family big time and I have seen it and it is a horrible beast! John is a champ for dealing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know your husband, but he seems like an amazing person...anyone struggling with depression is a champion in my mind....plus he must be amazing since you are with him:)

    ps. I used to date a guy named Jon Greene...he was a computer genius/geek...wouldn't that be funny if John's new company that he is going to work for was started by Jon? Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday John! Both of you hang in there! :) I'm glad to hear things are on the mend with you all. Thank heavens for new days, new years, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday John! ...and congrats on the new job! I am glad you feel like you can share about depression on your blog because I think that there are many of us who have dealt with it first or second hand. We love you guys and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad has been a business owner for several years, and I definitely know the ups and downs it can bring to a family, I can't imagine having depression along side it. Best of luck and Happy birthday John!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to John! It's fun that they share a birthday!! Barb, you are amazing and I love you...Hang in there and I am glad to hear that things are getting better. I as well have been surrounded by people who have tried to overcome depression as best they can. Way to go John for handling so well!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!