Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Mighty Heart

I've been reading Mariane Pearl's memoir, A Mighty Heart, about her husband Daniel Pearl's abduction and murder by terrorists. I finished it last night around midnight. I found myself crying through the last chapters as I thought of her incredible strength. She was pregnant with their first child when her husband was kidnapped in early 2002 in Pakistan. She became the center of the investigation to find him, organizing CIA, FBI, local intelligence, law enforcement, and cyber-crime experts. John is out of town this weekend and as I read about her despair of losing her beloved spouse I wished he had been next to me in bed. I felt a tiny fraction of her loss for a moment, as I considered how it feels to have half of your heart missing.


(photo credit: Glamour.com)

In 2007, the movie version of A Mighty Heart was released starring Angelina Jolie and Dan Futterman. I haven't seen the film, but I highly recommend the book- it is well-written and still very timely, considering how much of a target our country still is for terrorist groups.

2 comments:

  1. I bet it was a very emotional, moving story. I'll have to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it. I bet the movie's good too.

    Thanks for sharing! Hope your other half returns home soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:31 AM

    As with pretty much everything...I've seen the movie but haven't read the book. Loved the movie! I will definitely read the book too now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!