Saturday, May 03, 2008

It does not say "RSVP" on the Statue of Liberty

First of all, I will give a prize to whoever can name the movie quote from the title.

Second, this is a great article by the US News showcasing where the presidential candidates stand on immigration (via Momocrats.) I am proud that my church urged lawmakers in Utah to act with compassion when considering this subject during the past legislative session. Compassion is exactly what I am interested in and looking for in a candidate.

Third, this is what is actually inscribed on the Statue of Liberty.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

-Emma Lazarus

2 comments:

  1. That is obviously from Clueless...a total classic!
    I have a hard time with immigration laws...we have a family friend who has tried to become a citizen every way she can, short of marrying an American...she's here again on a temp visa, and there's no way she can become official...she's a good person who wants to stay, and she's even working for the church, legally...what's wrong with this picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy...Sher on Clueless during her in class debate/speech. Love ya Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!