Monday, May 31, 2010

Casual Blogger Conference wrap-up

I have been sick since my last post and I'm just now getting better. I just know that you all have been waiting with bated breath to hear how the rest of the Casual Blogger Conference went. (This is long, prepare yourself).

Well, the mommy guilt (well, more accurately, concern) was still with me for the second day of the conference. Charlie was sick and in need of some extra TLC. I left him with John for a lot of the day but by about 3:30 I knew it was time to get back to my baby. I ended up missing the keynote speaker, Courtney Kendrick of C Jane (who is actually one of my favorite bloggers), but I knew I had made the right choice to stay home with Charlie. I have met her once before, and we became bffs so I didn't feel too badly (well, I did, but not as bad as if this had been my one and only chance.)

The first day was made up of large auditorium-type lectures with general topics. It was too hard to connect with the speakers and topics in that setting. I spent a lot of time in the back of the lecture hall whispering to my friends (naughty, I know) and sluffing (such a Utah word! It means ditching for those who might be wondering) to get food at Chipotle (once with Casey and Loralee and again with Casey, Kim, and Lindsey) and Nothing Bundt Cakes. I felt like a teenager skipping class. I really enjoyed meeting people and hanging out/shopping at the vendors' booths, especially chatting with Heidi from Oh Sweet Sadie and Alma from Ollibird (no pictures of these great ladies, shame on me).



Casey browsing the vendors

Casey's new camera strap from Oh Sweet Sadie. I bought one just like it so we can be SLC/Indy twinners.
Except my camera is not as awesome.



Casey and Loralee being interviewed by Amelia from the Deseret News


Same group only with Kim (aka Prairie Mama)


Amelia was wearing these highly impractical but super hot shoes.


Loralee, me, Casey at lunch (photo by Casey)



Mrs. R aka Lindsey getting an impromptu blogging tutoring session from Casey

me and Kim

me and Mrs. R


The back row crew (Lindsey/Mrs. R, Casey, me, Kim)
photo by Shelle


The second day of the conference was much more fulfilling for me. I felt like I was learning more detailed information in the break-out sessions and making more meaningful connections. I started the morning at the Blogging Zen workshop. I was interested in learning more about balancing my time online with my "real" life. I was especially excited to meet Marta Dansi of Marta Writes who was part of the panel.

Marta and me

Next was Casey's panel on blogging about depression. It was excellent. I was so privileged to be there. The panel was awesome and the room was filled with women who struggle with depression. There were incredible insights, pain, tears, and stories of hope shared in that room.




(L-R Heather, Jaime, Casey, Jenny, Natasha)


Kim's cute baby, Millz

Evonne's cute baby, Vin

I really enjoyed Vanessa Brown's workshop on How to Be a Blogging Millionaire- she is a wealth of knowledge on running your blog as a business. I really enjoyed learning her story, too. She was newly married and pregnant, working three jobs to try to make ends meet. She began blogging as a way to supplement her income and now it is her full-time living. I really admire her for going after starting her own small business- it's hard to do (as John and I realized several years ago when he started Comma Development.) And I really admire her for sharing her knowledge with others- it was inspiring to see so many entrepreneurial women in the room (like cute Amy). Mrs. R/Lindsey and I sat next to each other and had a grand old time.



Mrs. R took this photo of me with my (?) iPad that I wrestled away from Johnny brought to play with- alas, the network was overwhelmed by all the fabulous bloggers so I was back to my phone for Twitter.


I still sluffed a little on Saturday with Casey (and Kim and baby Millz) at Cafe Rio. It was so fun to spend that short amount of time with her while she was in town.





But don't think that I didn't appreciate all the hard work that went into this conference! It ran very smoothly, was full of great bloggers, and had a wonderfully casual and non-intimidating atmosphere. And this was only its first year! I'm sure that it only will improve over time.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a great time! Can't wait to see where you go with your blog . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that picture of Vin and his crush! =) i am glad that we were able to meet at the conference...I swear you still look familiar like we knew each other in highschool or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Looks like that turned out good! I wish i could have gone! I did this traffic feed thing at the bottom of my blog just to see who looks at it.. kinda crazy people from outta state look at it and i have no idea who they are. I'll probably put my thing on private again. Hope you guys are doing good! We'll do a bbq soon once Eric pauses on the house projects and we'll have you guys up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!