Thursday, November 05, 2009

The Cool Girls Table

Last night I shed my Mom title for a few hours and instead, happily wore the mantle of Groupie.

Ree Drummond (better known as Pioneer Woman) was in town for a book signing of her new cookbook. I have been reading her blog for years and even won one of her contests once (a gift card to Amazon.com with which I bought my camera). I envisioned having her sign my book and reminding her that we went way back and were old friends. And then she'd invite me to come to the ranch and work cattle with her and cook food and take pictures together. Or something like that.

She's looking right at me- we have such a connection!



What Actually Happened:

When I arrived at the event (45 minutes early), there were several hundred people already in line. Luckily, I had pre-ordered my book and my good pal, (and admittedly, my security blanket) *Casey, was already in line and saving me a spot.

Me and Casey, snapping a quick pic between moments of Moosh in Indy groupies approaching her



We were some of last people let into the Q & A venue. It was packed. We ended up with a pretty great spot, close to the podium and along the path where Ree walked in.

There's Ree walking right past me, so close I could reach out and touch her. But I didn't, because I have (almost normal) boundaries.


Ree was gracious and funny, answering every question and making us laugh. She told us her kids' and Marlboro Man's real names. She did her Ethel Merman impression. And she shared a great story about being introduced to "working cattle" by way of a thermometer, a branding iron, and cow poop up to her elbow. She added at the end, "Gloves were not provided to me."

Ooh, we're so close to the Pioneer Woman!




She snapped a few pictures of the crowd and even one of me taking a picture of her taking pictures. Hi, Ree! We both shoot Nikon! Let's be BFF! (Although, her camera is so big it looks like it ate my camera. Burp.)



I was so enthralled that I almost didn't notice I was standing next to two of my friends, Emily and Andrea!



After the Q &A we stumbled across a group of Utah bloggers that Casey knew. This is where the Cool Girls Table feeling began to really ramp up. This was a group of people who introduced themselves by first name, blog name. I've never been to a blog conference or any other blogging networking event so this was totally new to me.

In background, L-R Carol, Janet, Emily
In foreground, L-R Carina, Vanessa, Marie, Casey



I was just jazzed to be in their little group for the moment but all the while feeling like a Spaz.

Me spazzing it up with (L-R) Allison, Carina, Emily, Vanessa, and Marie



We soon parted ways to suss out the actual book signing situation.

After the Q & A, groups of 20 were to be let in the (teensy) bookstore to have their books signed, beginning with tickets marked "A". Casey and I were holding letter "J" tickets which meant at least a 2 hour wait in the cold. As we were mulling over our options, we met two ladies who had driven an hour to get to the event, only to find the cookbooks sold out and the tickets all gone. Casey insisted that they take her book AND ticket. She even came up with the brilliant plan to have Ree sign both the book AND the book jacket so that they could order another book and each have her signature. (Meanwhile, I kept holding tightly and selfishly onto my own book...)

We headed back to my car, both of us resigned to returning home to our mothering duties (bedtime, nursing, packing, etc.) On our way, we saw our Cool Girls Table huddled in the alley behind the bookstore. They were gathered around a tall, blond, skinny, pretty woman who looked remarkably like Heather Armstrong. We stopped in our tracks. Casey turned and said, "I think that was Dooce." I said, "We're friends with those girls now, let's get over there!"

We hustled over to the group and sidled up to their conversation. Casey introduced herself and in a very genuine and classy way made a connection with Heather. I chimed in at inappropriate times with gems like, "I'm Barbara! Our babies are the same age! I think I live by you!" and other such emphatic stalkerisms.

I took a photo of Casey and Heather together. I got up my courage and asked if I could have a photo with her, too. Just as I was handing my camera to someone, Dooce was needed inside the bookstore and she was whisked off into the brightly lit store to meet Ree while I was left in the dark, cold alley. I felt like the head Cool Girl had just told me that I couldn't eat lunch with her. (Although, Heather really was quite nice. It was just unfortunate timing).

A small group of the Utah bloggers was allowed inside to meet Ree. (They brought presents and had a Dooce-lubed entrance.) Carol was thoughtful enough to take my cookbook in with her to get it signed.



I stayed for awhile chatting with Allison, Marie and Carina about Charlie's superpowers, Kerry's blog, sleep training, breastfeeding, CJane, and Steve Clark for awhile until my hungry, tired baby at home could not wait for his mama any longer. I left the event without ever getting my face time with the Pioneer Woman, but I didn't mind. I got out of my comfort zone, made some new friends and left feeling like I belonged in that group sitting at the Cool Girls Table.



*Casey is definitely already one of the Cool Girls

9 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds like SO much fun. Ok, the PW Texas Sheet Cake is the best thing ever! To die for. I'm glad you had such a fun girls night out. I need to get her cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious and it was so fun to meet! So glad Casey brought us together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really fun. I should have abandoned my post at the backdoor much sooner than I did, but then I wouldn't have gotten to spend as much time as I did with you. You're lovely and we need to get together again!

    By the way, your skin is like porcelain, all beautiful and such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb! I thought this was a fun post! You are totally a cool girl. Happy birthday btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! I actually sent my best friend because I wanted a signed copy. She was there until midnight! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like so much fun! I live in Dallas and she's coming here in December. Thanks to you, I now know what I'll be in when I go. For some naive reason, I thought I'd just drive to the bookstore and stroll on in to get my book signed! I'll need to be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! This makes me even sadder that I couldn't make it up from Provo to go to this. (Partly, but not completely, because I didn't have anyone to go with.) Glad you had fun, though.

    Oh, and you might be interested in seeing the other half of your picture-taking picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwoman/4087706229/in/photostream/

    Next time we'll have to arrange to meet up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I was so star-studded with Dooce and The Pioneer Woman that I didn't say hello to you. That was so incredibly kind of Casey to give up her cookbook and place in line.

    So, ms. getupandplay glad to have you on the adventure. I love your perspective!

    Janet
    www.newspapergrl.com

    p.s. I feel retarded that I can't log in with my blog on blogspot. It makes me choose an old blog I started years ago but never continued.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!