Monday, November 16, 2009

On the occasion of my birth

It was my birthday last week. I am 27. The thing about 27 is that it is not an old age by any means, but it is not particularly young age either. I am beginning to ask myself if I am too old for things. As in, "Am I too old to have super long hair?" (My stylist pretty much said yes and chopped 4 inches off.) As I'm on campus, the freshman seem to be getting younger and younger. I noticed a girl in my class was wearing a sweatshirt from my high school. I was excited to talk to her about good old East High until I saw something else on her sleeve- Class of 2009. As in less than 6 months ago she was in high school. As in she graduated 8 YEARS after I did. Sheesh, I felt really old to still be in college. Age is so abstract- I don't feel the age I am, but what is 27 supposed to feel like anyway?

Despite my age related philosophical ponderings, I had a really fun time celebrating my birthday. It actually made me really excited for Charlie's future birthdays and the fun things we will do to celebrate them.

John's family had a Sunday dinner for me (and the other fall birthdays) and his parents watched Charlie so we could go on a real, grown-up date. We decided to try a new-to-us restaurant and chose Fresco, a little tiny place in Sugarhouse. We decided to make trying a new restaurant part of our birthday traditions from now on.






My family got together for a Sunday dinner party, as well. Charlie loves seeing his cousins, Sam and Lily, and they are always so sweet with him.


Lily, Sam and Charlie were there to help me blow out all those candles...


Charlie loves being up in his high chair and a part of the action.

Sam, Steve, Kerry, "Mister Char Char" (as Sam calls him), and Lily have a group hug



My girlfriends took me out to lunch a few days after my birthday, too. I felt very loved and celebrated!

6 comments:

  1. I know the owner of Fresco, I used to nanny his triplets. I have always wanted to eat there, other than the times he would take his wife, me and the kids there when it was close and whip us up some lunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I stopped remembering how old I was at age 22. Now if people ask me, I usually have to stop and count back to make sure. I'm also having weird-ish thoughts about my upcoming (in February) 27th birthday, and I think I've figured out that the reason 27 in particular weirds me out is because I'll be older than Eva Marie Saint's character in North by Northwest, and I still don't feel like I'm anywhere near that old.

    I think it doesn't help that my little baby sister just turned 16, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, your birthday! How fun, what a cute family...that I really miss. Oh my gosh that cake! It is the most tempting looking thing I've ever seen. Where is it from? Yum.
    I love the group hug, what a cute photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy happy birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day! I know what you mean about feeling a little old up on campus. They look like babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I'm so late on telling you happy birthday! I even thought of you on your birthday. Anyway, looks like you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I don't know about you but I feel like 27 is old. I still can't believe we graduated that long ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!