Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mercury

Since becoming pregnant, I have begun to pay much closer attention to what I eat and drink, which household cleaners and beauty products I use, and the air I breathe. I've been doing a ton of research on vaccinations and what they actually contain and I was relieved to learn that most vaccines are now mercury-free (now, aluminum is another story). I am trying to learn all I can to be healthier for myself and to protect the Cub. Imagine my horror when I read this article, Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury, in the Washington Post (via Ask Moxie). I knew HFCS was unhealthy and I have been trying to avoid it, but to find out that many FOOD products are potentially contaminated with toxic mercury? I am furious and I am going to make my voice heard! (In the interest of fairness, you can read what the Corn Refiners Association has to say. )

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. That stinks. After I stopped breastfeeding I found that Stone was intolerant to the milk in formula and gave him soy formula until one day I read the ingredients and noticed that the 1st ingredient was 46% corn syrup.
    Luckily he is over that allergy now, but next time I think I'll just breastfeed for a year.
    YUCK! Who wants their babies drinking 6 bottles of that a day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:37 AM

    We'll soon be deleting our old blog that links you to our new one - so you'll want to update us soon! http://bradenandjamie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's me and I still read your blog quietly! :) I am shocked to hear that... will pay more attention to HFCS in my kids foods.

    Another mercury danger that most people don't know about is the CFL light bulbs that are being so heavily promoted. One of those bulbs has enough mercury to poison 6,000 gallons of water. And people are just chucking them in the trash, which can poison water supplies. Anyway... that's my two cents. Here is an article about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!