Sunday, June 08, 2008

Feeling fragile

John called me at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. I was a cabin, finishing up the last few activities for the 18 people attending Girls Camp. It was loud and chaotic and he said, "Just so you know..." then he stopped himself. "Never mind, I'll tell you when you get home."

Knowing that "Just so you know" is John-speak for, "Don't be alarmed, but I'm about to tell you something unpleasant," I made him tell me.

Early Saturday morning at 3:40 a.m., John received a phone call from his brother, Mark. Their dad, Rick, (who I just call, "Dad") was on his way to the hospital suffering from symptoms of a heart attack. My father-in-law, who knelt on one knee the night John proposed to ask me to be his daughter-in-law, had a heart attack.

He's doing really well, the doctors and nurses and EMTs have taken great care of him and he's going to be fine. I'm so grateful that he will recover, but seeing a man that I love and admire as my second father in a hospital bed has me feeling a little fragile.

I am full of gratitude that his wife, Sue, was able to recognize the symptoms and call 911. I am grateful that Sam (age 18) was home to help them both and call the siblings. I am beyond grateful that Mark and John as worthy priesthood holders could administer to their dad and give him a blessing of healing. I am amazed that these events unfolded the way they did. Rick and Sue were supposed to be on a plane to France tomorrow; I can only imagine the outcome would have been much worse if Rick's heart attack had happened on the plane or while they were traveling.

I am reminded again of how fragile and temporary this life is. I am so happy to know that our family is eternal and the ties that bind us now will bind us forever. I am thankful that Heavenly Father has spared Rick's life and allowed us to have him for a while longer.

So while I'm feeling fragile, I will cherish the tender feelings that fragility uncovers.

12 comments:

  1. I am really glad to hear that he is doing alright, how scary. we will remember him in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad he didn't have the heart attack on the plane or in France. Thank goodness he's ok! I know this has to be scary for everyone. Hang in there. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy...send our love! Bishop Thornton, or President Thornton was my favorite Sunday school teacher. Glad to hear he is okay! Life has a funny way of sneaking up on us when we least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that he's doing well - isn't life so scary some times? my uncle recently passed away at the young age of 48, leaving his wife and two little girls. It has really put things into perspective for me. I realize how important all the small things are! Glad that your family is healing - prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Barb! I wish you had told me. We would have sent you down to be with them. I'm glad he's doing alright. Thanks for being a great partner in crime this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary weekend for you and your family! I'm so glad to hear he is doing well; keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear he is ok. Life is fragile and when things like this happen it makes me realize my gratitude for the life I have been blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sorry! So scary! I hate hearing about stuff like that. I am glad he is ok though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Romney. I'm very glad to hear that Rick is doing better. He is such an awesome guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope all is well barb...we're thinking of you guys. send our love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about this Barb! We'll keep your second dad in our thoughts... best wishes to you and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!