Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Accomplishing Something

I read a very moving post today over on Segullah called Accomplishing Something by Emily Watts. She writes of her mother-in-law who died thinking she never accomplished anything, despite raising 10 children, one of whom had special needs.

It got me thinking about how sometimes I get down on myself for things I haven't accomplished or that I haven't accomplished in a certain time frame. I have a terrible habit of comparing myself to others and it often makes me feel like I am not living up to my potential. And I often hear the same things from some of my friends. Whether it's school or kids or marriage or professional accomplishments, let's just give ourselves a break!

I love when Watts says, "... let’s not overlook the quiet work of the world just because some achievements seem to shine brighter."

4 comments:

  1. Of course you have accomplished a ton, Barb! I mean for one, look at the friendships you keep up. That alone is a huge accomplishment!

    Emily Watts is such a great writer. She is my mom's cousin, so I always thought I was biased, but I think she has great things to say! Glad you feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my "pimp your blog" post -- I'm glad I stopped by, and I have subscribed with bloglines.

    Great post today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Story of my life. Well, sort of. I think what gets me isn't personally feeling like I'm not accomplishing anything so much as OTHER people thinking I'm not accomplishing anything because I don't have a traditional job. I sort of resent that women that worked full-time used to be the minority and now the fact that I DON'T work full-time makes me a minority. I feel like screaming from the roof-tops "I do more than you realize, people!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if you are still up at the U, or maybe you have a subscription yourself, there is a short story in the December 2007 edition of Sunstone that reminded me of the "accomplishing somethings" story that you might really enjoy. It is called "Clothing Esther" by L Downing. Of course, if you don't have easy access to the journal, it wouldn't be worth it.

    Sounds like Natalie might like it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!