Thursday, February 07, 2008

Mitt Suspends Candidacy



Mitt Romney, GOP candidate for President (and Utah favorite), announced today that he is *suspending his campaign, "for our party and our country."

"In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror. This is not an easy decision. I hate to lose," the former Massachusetts governor said.

"As of today, more than 4 million people have given me their vote for president, that's of course, less than Senator McCain's 4.7 million, but quite a statement nonetheless. Eleven states have given me their nod, compared to his 13. Of course, because size does matter, he's doing quite a bit better with the number of delegates he's got," Romney said.

"If this were only about me, I'd go on. But it's never been only about me. I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, in this time of war I feel I have to now stand aside for our party and for our country."

Interesting twist to the campaign, I'd say. This has been an interesting election year because there have been a lot of viable candidates along the way (John Edwards, Rudy Guiliani) that for one reason or another, couldn't muster the support they needed to be successful in a bid for the White House. I wonder if Huckabee will continue on? Considering the fact that he earned fewer delegates than Romney did, I think it's unlikely he'll stay in the race much longer.

Here's an interesting editorial written the other day talking about the possibility of a McCain/Romney ticket come November (if they can put aside their differences).



* Suspending a campaign has a different meaning depending on the party.

On the Republican side, decisions on how to allocate delegates is left to the state parties.

On the Democratic side, a candidate who "suspends" is technically still a candidate, so he or she keeps both district and statewide delegates won through primaries and caucuses. Superdelegates are always free to support any candidate at any time, whether the candidate drops out, suspends or stays in.

National party rules say that a candidate who "drops out" keeps any district-level delegates he or she has won so far but loses any statewide delegates he or she has won. (Source cnn.com)

13 comments:

  1. I am completely depressed over this! Is it wrong to say that I refuse to vote now - I very strongly dislike McCain!
    There, I'm off my soapbox now, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:01 PM

    SUSPEND OR DROP OUT? DOES IT MATTER?

    CNN used the word “suspend.” Most other sites (NY times, Washington Post) use “drop out.” Did Romney suspend or drop out? Does it matter? The CNN article defines “suspend” and it appears to me that for the Republican party, it has the same effect as “drop out,” but for the Democratic party, if someone “suspends” they hold on to the delegates they’ve won thus far.

    Thoughts? Clarification?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waitwaitwait. He's not dropping out, but effectively he really is? And because...? How bizarre. He's not my first choice as a candidate, but I respect who he is. I don't respect McCain at all. Oh how scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is effectively the same as dropping out, but the delegates will revert to the states.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:15 PM

    First of all- I am a democrat so maybe I shouldn't comment here (plus I am not too politics-savvy, but regarding your statement about Huckabee staying in: My opinion is that he has only stayed in thus far so he can fragment the vote between him and Romney. Now that his mission to make sure Romney doesn't get the votes he needs is done- I can't see why he would continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel- let's just say I feel you. :) I think there are two very excellent Democratic candidates and I'm excited for change in the white house, in whatever form that may come (whether it be Clinton, Obama, or McCain...)


    Secondly, you are always welcome here and I agree with your astute Huckabee comment. I also think he's staying in in an attempt to gain favor with McCain. He's probably thinking in terms of V.P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was not happy about this either! I am not really a fan of McCain and I certainly don't want to vote for Hilary or, for that reason, O'Bama!

    Maybe....just maybe.....Huckabee can make a late stand.

    A girl can dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:00 AM

    I initially went into the primaries thinking I was going to vote for Romney just to be "supportive"...but then I thought about it and changed my mind - being Mormon was the only reason I would have been voting for him (I don't necessarily agree politically with him). I thought he did a good job in his announcement of suspending his candidacy - I have respect for the man. But I still have my fingers crossed for Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't stand this either! He is the only one that I really felt good about. Personally I think Huckabee is a moron and McCain is a dud. I am debating on whether to even vote or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am dissapointed about the whole thing but i will still vote. i am thinking i will vote obama (cant stand clinton or mccain) so i am crossing my fingers he gets the democratic bid. there is the best post about this on a blog i read blog.cjanerun.com
    it sums up how i feel

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh it is called "hell must have frozen over." i laughed so hard i cried when i read it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't change my vote! I've been an Obama supporter since day one. I like Romney as a person.... but I was disappointed in how he ran his campaign. Lot's of negative ads.... changing his views to cater to the conservative agenda. I wish he would have stayed more true to himself. I think it's better for him to wait 4/8 years and come back with a fresh campaign.... I think he could win

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading your blog Barb. Its so interesting and informative. I wish I was able to comment from work! Thanks for writing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!