Thursday, February 21, 2008

Health care reform discussion

First, go read this incredibly articulate post by Emily Anne. Go on, I'll wait.

This is my what I posted in response on her blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.


The current health care system needs to borrow free market principles, such as consumer-based responsibility. We all probably did more research about the computers we are using right now than we did about the last medical procedure we underwent. If I had to carry more of the financial burden of my health care, I would research the best possible care for the best possible price. I would think twice about a test that may or not be necessary. If my insurance covers everything, then I'll want everything, regardless of whether or not I NEED it.

The cost of malpractice insurance for doctors is unreasonable and it is primarily because of merit-less lawsuits. The "ambulance chasers" need to have that cost of litigation put back on them to protect the innocent doctors AND the patients that have legitimate lawsuits.

Right now in Utah, there is a Health System Reform movement (the bill involved is HB 133) to address this problem. The solution requires everyone to take a little bit of the responsibility and cost: doctors, hospitals, insurance companies and consumers.

1 comment:

  1. YES, YES, YES!!! Agree with 99% of your post. (The other 1%? In defense of my fellow attorneys, ambulance chasers tend to go after insurance companies who won't shell out and not the Doctors themselves. It's rare to see malpractice suits anymore against the actual physician.) The secret to improving health care is actually going to be cutting out the insurance companies.

    Example: The only type of health care to regularly and significantly GO DOWN in price? Elective surgeries--plastic surgery, lasik, cosmetic surgery, etc. Why? Because insurance companies rarely pay for these procedures, so the medical professionals who practice in these fields must make them as affordable as possible as soon as possible to as many potential consumers as possible in order to stay out of the red. Every other type of surgery, procedure, or visit consistently becomes MORE expensive as time goes on. Why? Because the insurance and health care providers set their prices and then give each other discounts ("adjustments") so that they stay in business together. But guess what? If you don't have insurance or even the right insurance, you don't get that nice discount (which is probably closer to the actual price) because you don't pay to be in on the game. Sound corrupt? It is.

    Either regulate insurance companies, or get rid of the middle man completely.

    That's not all I have to say about that, but I'm tired. Way to go, Barb!

    Oh, and please tell John that "In Rainbows" is the best album I've heard in years. I'm almost positive that he's listened to it, but this is the one that's going to change the way music is distributed forever.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!