Thursday, February 01, 2007

Barthes "Mythologies"

I'm supposed to be writing a paper on Barthes' "Mythologies" right now. The so of course I am doing everything else on my darling MacBook Pro (aka "Lippy the Laptop") other than writing my paper- uploading photos, blogging, reading other people's blogs, checking out MySpace profiles, online shopping, oh I could go on.

On a kind of related subject, I realized tonight that everyone has their thing. You know that one thing or area of expertise where when you're talking about it with someone (say your spouse), his eyes start to get a little glassy and you know he's not really following anything you're saying. This was a new realization for me because although I was very familiar with this phenomenon from my perspective (listening to my very smart computer programmer husband and barely grasping onto the concepts he's imparting), I had yet to induce a semi-conscious state on someone else! It was a little validating! I, too, can be a barely-understood expert! (Otherwise known as a nerd). It was a gratifying feeling. And even though I still think John's expertise in the engineering/science/math/logic field is much much cooler than my small knowledge of literary criticism/writing/literature, it still feels good to know that I can *bore* someone, too!

But enough of this talk... I need to prove my worth as an English major and crank out this paper for tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! I am going to add you as a link! Woo-Hoo! Blogging is nerdy internet fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the heck! I didn't know you had a blog! If I had not been up to some no good blog stalking I never would have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I have some attention, I might have to blog about something that is slightly interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, my knowledge of pop culture has not abated since going to law school. When I saw the word "Mythologies," I immediately thought of the Discovery Channel's immensely popular (and deservedly so) "MythBusters." I assume that both you and John are avid watchers. If you're not already, you will be-- Wednesday nights. Check your local listings for times.

    In other news, What's up? How's the U? You gonna graduate for real this year? ;D I vaguely remember us speaking about a change in your emphasis from teaching to straight up lit? Please advise, and say hi to John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric- I can only hope that one day I will follow in your footsteps and leave OSH behind me. But for now, I will just enjoy having Tim in my 3703 class. Yes, we do watch Mythbusters and love it- did you see the pirate one? Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!