Thursday, March 05, 2009

Breech Baby No More!


Last week (36 weeks pregnant) I had my first internal exam. My doctor wasn't sure that the baby was head down, so she sent me in for an ultrasound to double check. I was so confidant that he was head down and I was kind of irritated to have to take work off again for another appointment. (Getting away from the Capitol during the Legislative session is a big deal.) Imagine my disappointment when the ultrasound tech found the Cub's head up, not down! Oooh, that baby was on time-out! I was super frustrated but I tried not to let it get me too down.

John and I fasted (well, John fasted) and prayed that he would turn on his own, I had a priesthood blessing, I did specific yoga positions, I talked to the baby, and even made acupuncture and chiropractic appointments. I wanted to make sure that I did everything I could to help the baby turn. Still, nothing seemed to work. I could still feel the baby's hard, round little head up by my ribs.

My doctor called me on Tuesday and we talked over my options- a scheduled C-section or an external version followed immediately by an induction. Both options didn't sound appealing, especially since she was recommending the induction at 38 weeks. (I had to go tell my boss that I would probably be having a baby during the last week of the session- not ideal.) Luckily, Dr. Eborn called another doctor who has more expertise in the external version technique and he recommended that we try it THIS week and then if it was successful, let me go into labor on my own! Yay!

So yesterday, I took the day off of work and John and I checked into LDS hospital. After getting some medication to relax my uterus, Dr. Voss came in and pushed on my belly, using his hands to scoop the baby up out of my pelvis, turn him around, then let him slide into my pelvis head down. It was pretty uncomfortable (aka painful) but it only lasted about 45 seconds. (I'm lucky, sometimes the doctor breaks a sweat from exerting so much force for several minutes trying to get a baby to turn).

It was a success- the baby is now pointed the proper way and there's only a 5% chance that he will turn again! Yay! I am pretty bruised today (I feel "knocked up" in a whole different way) but it was so worth it!! Now I'm back on track for a normal delivery- no induction, no C-section!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so glad that he turned! :) You are getting so close, Barb! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I'm very glad. I'm so excited to meet the cub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! What a relief that must be. I hope you are feeling well - you're almost there! I can't wait to see that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is good news! I hope everything goes as planned from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful. That is great news. I am so glad that everything is working out. We love you so much.

    Nate, Elysha, and Hayden Maughan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard that whole process in very painful! Good Luck the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. barb! I feel your pain! This little girl here of ours is breech also at 36 weeks, so we'll see what can be done on Tuesday to turn her! As our doctor says, she is cute, but she's a "butthead" all at the same time!! So happy for your "Flip!" Good luck sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very good news! That-a-cub. Props to you for being able to be such the achieved working woman while being so pregnant and uncomfortable at times. p.s. you are a very cute pregnant gal you know

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!