Saturday, July 05, 2008

Utah has the WORST voter turnout rate in the nation!!

I read this article today in the Deseret Morning News and although it saddens me, it doesn't surprise me at all. Having worked on campaigns in Utah, I have seen first hand the voter apathy that plagues us! How can Utah, the same state that organized record-breaking volunteer efforts for the Olympics, be so lax in civic involvement?? We can and should do better than this! After enjoying a lovely and patriotic Independence Day in Utah, I find it a shock to my system that my state is taking such a hard-won privilege for granted. I encourage you all (wherever you may be) to make sure that you are registered to vote and so that you are ready to vote. Utah's general election is on November 4th.

6 comments:

  1. Do they offer stinking cool jackets that you can wear for years to come, without looking dumb, to voters? :0) (I hate it when I see people in those olympic jackets! haha) I'm registered to vote! hooray! And since I'm in OH, my vote might actually make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so surprising--2006 was one of the more blase elections of the last little while. Expect the turnout this year the vastly outsrip 06's rate.

    However, I do have to agree with you. Utah seems to LOVE complaining but not doing anything to actually change their situation. Sadly, I'm probably one of those who doesn't do as much as he could in his civic duties...

    Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SAW THAT TOO, I am hoping it is false and just a really proactive way to get everyone fired up! As if the mouth of a prophet is not enough! Good Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr. Awesome! :-)

    Just wanted to say thanks for commenting on my post at Slackermommy's.

    I had no idea about Utah's voter turnout. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:55 PM

    That is so sad. Especially for us wimmins who had to fight for the right to even vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least there's dedicated citizens like you willing to throw themselves into the nitty gritty that is Utah politics. And come check out the new blog that Jenni and I have: josephandjennihinckley.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!