Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Sundays



This is my Sunday school class. In my church, the children's Sunday school "Primary" as in "first". I teach a class of six 6-year-olds. I share this privilege with another teacher and we trade off teaching. I have been their teacher for almost two years now and it's fun to see them grow and mature.

Our class is called CTR 6- which stands for "Choose the Right." Each week, I ask every child to tell me something they did to choose the right. Often, they tell me about playing with their little siblings, helping their parents, or doing something without being asked. I notice much more than what they tell me about the wonderful little people they are.

From left to right:

Emily* is a sweet, proper little girl. She keeps her dress neat and colors her pictures carefully. She has a lot of big brothers that are rough-and-tumble, but she always tries to be kind to them.

Jill is spunky and bright. She is athletic and strong. She has a sibling with special needs and is very attentive and sweet to her.

Adam is the class clown and loves to make everyone laugh. He's also very cuddly. He sits next to me and lays his head on my lap.

Sarah is an articulate, sweet little girl who always wants to tell me stories and answer my questions. She lost her baby brother last year and always tells me that he lives in heaven now.

Jake is big for his age but that doesn't prevent him from being the sweetest older brother. He often asks if his little brother can come to our class, too.

Bryce is an excellent reader and loves to draw. He's always the last to leave class because he takes extra care with his art project. He has two younger siblings with special needs and is kind and helpful at home.

It always adds to my Sunday when I can spend time with these great kids. I learn as much as I teach them every time I prepare a lesson. It's wonderful to have the experience to teach a child and watch as he begins to understand a concept. I began my college career with the intention of being a teacher- I ended up taking a different path in school, but I'm still lucky enough to have teaching as a part of my life.

*names have been changed

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:58 PM

    I'm glad to see you enjoy your Primary kids so much. Riley teaches the 5/6 year olds too (I "help" when I am there). It's great to see a positive post about this age group cuz Riley came home today and just racked out upstairs in bed (he's still there now) because apparently handling those kids kicked his butt this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you took that picture of your class. I BET THEY LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my primary kids. they tell the best stories. It's kinda funny how attached you get to them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!