Monday, February 28, 2011

On friendship, sisters and bravery

Do you know my friend, Casey? She is kind of a big deal. Our story is one of those "we were childhood friends who grew apart because of life's circumstances and then were reunited because of the blogging world" old chestnuts.


Barb and Casey, circa 2007 (yes, we're at Baskin-Robbins in the dead of winter, what of it?)

Casey found my blog one day and we reconnected. We had both changed a lot since our days of playing on the same street and planning elaborate pet talent shows. We became friends again based on the adults we now are, not the children we were. Even though she lives in Indiana, I feel lucky that I'm on the shortlist of people she wants to see when she comes back home for a visit.

At the premiere of Twilight- I've never heard so many preteens squealing all in one place!

Casey's expertise in navigating the blogging world has given me courage- she helps me to be brave enough to try new things (I've called her my security blanket before). She has opened her soul to her readers on her blog in a way that can only be described as honest, admirable and raw, even. She has struggled with horrible demons and challenges like depression and infertility and come through it stronger and purified as if by the refiner's fire. She is one of the bravest people I know.

at the Pioneer Woman's book signing last year

Casey is expecting her second daughter (nicknamed Mozzi) who joins her first little cutie whose nickname was The Moosh. She will have two girls and they will have a sister. I have a sister, as does Casey- we know firsthand that sometimes a girl just needs her sister. Both of us are separated from our sisters by large geographical distances. I think sisterhood and friendship are closely linked- sometimes, if you're lucky, you can find sisters in the world to be your surrogate sister. That's what I wish for Casey- that she will always have sisters around her to help her through those hard times. (So far, she's got a small army all organized by Emily to throw her this virtual baby shower!) And that's what I wish for Mozzi- that she and The Moosh will love and support each other.

at the Casual Blogger Conference last year

Congratulations, Casey! I'm so happy that another baby gets to have you for a mom, because you're awesome at it.

5 comments:

  1. Sisters are one of the best things in life. They know each other on a level that is so unique and full of love. This is beautifully written sis. Missing you always.

    I hope all the best for Casey and wish her happiest congrats on this wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWW ALL THESE CUTE PICTURES!! (why am I always on your left? and your hand! it's always around me! I WANT TO HUG YOU NOW.) And the lameness that was that pet show! We put so much work into it!

    I'm so happy we'll get to be mamas together this time around. Adore you, can't wait to see you this summer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to tell you that I loved your nighttime post. It made me happy. So sweet. I can't wait for the day when we can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe man, you guys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Casey's blog a lot because I feel like I am not alone when I read it. Barb, you are darling, your sister is darling and Casey is darling. Its a darling party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!