Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tragedy in our community


You may have heard about the terrible plane crash in Arizona, involving Stephanie and Christian Nielsen and Christian's flight instructor, Doug Kinneard. Christian had just earned his pilot's license and often flew with his wife and sometimes his children. His flight teacher passed away from his injuries, and both Christian and Stephanie are seriously burned.

Although strangers to me, I feel so connected to their story. Stephanie Nielsen's father is Representative Steve Clark, whom I worked with at the legislature. Her sister, Courtney, writes a blog that I follow called C Jane Enjoy It and Stephanie herself writes a blog called the NieNie Dialogues. And finally, this family shares my faith. I feel like I know Stephanie and Christian through reading these blogs. I admire this woman and aspire to be like her in her close relationship with her sister(s), her sense of style, her obvious love for her husband, and the way she mothers her children.

I have been keeping them in my prayers and I hope that you will, too. Courtney writes updates on her blog and she has listed many ways that we can come together as a community to help (writing cards or donating money, etc.)- whether we feel a connection through our faith, blogging, motherhood, or just reaching out in compassion and humanity.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:56 AM

    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I feel there are so many of us bloggers aching for the Nielson's, it is nice to be able to read each others thoughts and hopes for them. Isn't this amazing!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!