Sunday, December 01, 2013

I want to remember...

...putting ornaments on the tree tonight with Charlie. He collected some of his favorites, then hid them in shiny, foil boxes for me as a 'surprise'. Then he sang Happy Birthday to me and I opened them, both of us thrilled at the little treasures inside.

...twice when we received a knock on the door, George and Charlie bounded out into the in the weirdly mild December weather, anxious to run around and play. It was dark and they were sock-footed, but they swung from the rope swing and Charlie ran around tracing letters and numbers for us to guess in the grass. (Mostly 8s and 0s but once a 1 and a B).

... reading a Christmas story to Charlie on the couch while George (who couldn't be captivated into listening) crawled all over and under and around John on the couch next to me, so happy to be playing with his dad.

...trying to get Charlie to help me clean up his room before he went to bed. He was playing and not helping, but I kept my temper and let him play while I tidied up. He told me a few minutes later, "Sorry I wasn't listening, Mama. I was building my Legos. What was you telling me?" so sweetly that I was so glad I kept my patience with him.

...reading a story to Charlie tonight then having him reach for my hand to hold while he drifted off to sleep.

The day wasn't perfect- in fact, there were lots of hard times in it. But the good moments were like little jewels and if I don't write them down I'm afraid they'll be gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!