Sunday, August 18, 2013

My cutie Charlie, summer 2013

Charlie said to me with a shy smile, "Mom, I'm your cutie." So true, buddy.

He's picking up the funniest phrases. "Awww, thanks", "Poopie butt" (not my favorite), "Oh my gosh", and the one we are hearing constantly, "Know what happens?" He also will say things are "amazing" or "so cool" which is what I tell him all the time, I guess! He's started to say things like, "I like green. That's my favorite."

We miss Wasatch Preschool a lot, but Charlie has been getting to know some friends in our ward and neighborhood. My friend put together a Boys Club playgroup for some of the 4 year old boys and we were finally able to join in during the summer. It's Sawyer Ramsay, Bryson Arnold, Charlie and James Marriott. They are so fun and imaginative- this day they were pretending that the Jeep was a pirate ship and they were driving it all around the yard with all four of them squished on. It's been so good for Charlie to play with some peers more often and good for me to get in the practice of playdates! We rotate homes so once a month, I haved all four (plus George, a little crazy) but then the other weeks I get some one-on-one time with George.


We had swimming lessons at the beginning of the year with James at Steiner. It was fun to see Charlie and James in the water, although Chelsea, Emma, George and I were very hot spectators on the sidelines. Charlie has no fear of the water at all, so his teacher mainly worked with him on learning the rules of water safety and following instructions. He learned that he always has to ask his mom and his teacher before getting in the water and that he isn't allowed to run.



John's been working hard on our yard, making it nicer and building kid stuff. This day, Charlie wanted to be covered in a load of dirt and hauled to the backyard. It was a heavy load- can you tell by John's face?

Still loving matchbox cars and organizing them so nicely :)

My dad decided to build us a fire pit in one corner of our yard and got it done in about two weeks. Grandpa is a worker! Charlie loved to "help" by being right next to Grandpa, often right in the way. It reminded us of the story of John helping Grandpas Thornton and Bailey as a child. 

Posing for me at "Secret Park" (I think this was in the Spring)- I love that smile!

One day I was having a conversation with him about likes and dislikes and taking turns going back and forth. I ran out of things to say that I didn't like and in a pinch said, "Know what I don't like? Owl poop." Charlie thought it was hilarious and has totally latched onto it. People are so confused and can't help but laugh when he randomly brings up that he doesn't like owl poop.

He was really into whispering at the beginning of the summer but has yet to grasp what a secret is. He'll just whisper something about Mario or whatever in your ear.


just eating some cereal in the backyard...


showing me his cool "trick"

"Hey girl, want to take me home and let me watch you play Mario for an hour?"

working on an art project for the preschool auction

At the beginning of the summer we discovered that Charlie has a moderate receptive language delay and speech delay. That means that his comprehension of language is delayed, as well as having speech that is hard to understand. We've been going to speech and language therapy twice a week all summer and working on some things. Right now we're working on transitions between activities, having him follow our lead while playing, and he/she, his/hers, above/below, in front/behind. This week at therapy, he was a rockstar! He participated in all the activities and was starting to get the target words and say them in the right context. It is so satisfying and exciting to see him make this progress! It was cute to hear him spontaneously quiz John on whether or not the tarp was above or below the tent while we were camping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!