Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Our PBS Halloween

    It's fun to celebrate holidays together as my kids are getting older and more aware of them. Charlie and I had fun searching for pumpkins on porches as we drove around town. My mom came over and decked out my porch with some darling "Cinderella" pumpkins and a new wreath and helped me put up the jack-o-lanterns on our lights. My mom LOVES Halloween and it's a been a fun family tradition to over the years to decorate our home. Now that my parents are getting older, they come decorate my house. :)


We went over to Uncle Dave's house to carve pumpkins (Charlie's first time!) for Family Home Evening. Charlie was more interested in the balloons left over from Grandma Sue and Anne's birthday dinner the night before than the pumpkins. Georgie got to stay home and go to bed early with a babysitter. 



Earlier that day, Charlie and George helped me scoop out the pumpkin guts. Charlie thought it was pretty gross, but loved to tell me how to scoop out all the slimy stuff. 






George checking out the finished product pumpkins wearing his costume, a really cute handmade Native American shirt that Grandma Bev found secondhand. 















We trekked to Provo to attend John's work party. It ended up being kind of a long trip to squeeze into an already crazy day (Charlie had already had a Halloween party at preschool) and when we got there, it was more for employees than for families. But it was fun to do something together and really fun for John to be able to show us off a little. 


Halloween night, Catherine and her kids came over to go trick-or-treating in our very fun neighborhood.  My mom and dad joined us too. Several of our neighbors have fun things going on- glow sticks, a soup potluck and homemade doughnuts are part of the traditional offerings. Elizabeth loved to ring the doorbells. 



This is how George was most of the evening. It was past his bedtime and he was unhappy about it!


The reason for the title of this post: Johnny as Bob Ross inspired by this remix.  Even without his palette in hand, people knew right away who he was!



Bob Ross and Astro Boy. Charlie doesn't really love to dress up on Halloween, so it was fun to find a costume that he'd get excited about. By just putting on his red boots and a blue jacket, Charlie felt like he was indeed, Astro Boy. Easy peasy.


I classically procrastinated but was able to pull off a pretty good Julia Child last minute. I read her book My Life in France and loved it and since Julia Child's cooking show was on PBS, I thought it matched John's costume pretty well.




All in all, a pretty successful holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!