Thursday, March 01, 2012

Charlie-not quite 3

Here's an update on our not quite 3 year old. He's smart and fun and vivacious and sweet and challenging and high-energy and strong-willed and focused and funny. Life is never boring with Charlie around.

His talking is improving every day. He's started paying attention to conversations around him and chiming in on them, which is definitely a new phase to adjust to for mom and dad! My favorite Charlie phrases recently include:
"Over a couch! Wash a show!" (translation- over to the couch, watch a show) he requests this first thing when he gets up in the morning or from his nap
"Put down me!" (put me down)
"Hmmm" (while tapping his forehead or chin thoughtfully)
"What happened?"
"Yeah" and "uh-HUH" or sometimes, "Uh-huh, yes."
"Oh my goodness" (he got this one from me)
"Bah-roken" (broken)
"Hey, not nice" (this is exactly what we say to him if he's misbehaving and now he says it to us if we do something he doesn't like)
"Stop it!" (Lovely. Again, I know where he got this one! We're all trying to learn "Stop, please" instead.)
"Check out" (check it out- straight from Johnny)
"Watch this"
"It's Sunday!" (To Charlie, the opposite of nighttime is sun-day. Makes perfect sense to me! When he wants to get up from his nap, he points to the sun shining through the window and says "it's Sun-day!")
He's getting the hang of pronouncing his own name and it sounds like Char-ree (which an improvement on  the previous Cha-ee).
His dad, some sticks, the park and Mount Olympus- what else does a boy need?

He's picking up mannerisms that make him seem so grown-up and clever, like coughing into his little fist
or shaking his sippy cup before drinking to check if there's any milk left in it.

He's delighted with his Mater and Lightning McQueen toys from Grandma Bev and Grandma Barb.
He's discovered chocolate milk and asks for it all the time.

He loves all things dinosaurs, cars, TOOLS, Kung Fu Panda, volcanoes and waterfalls, robots, ghosts, giants, and monsters. He often wants me to pretend I'm a big monster and chase him around the house.


loves his accessories


He has surprised me by knowing lots of words to songs and singing along in nursery or in the car. Some of his latest ones are I Love to See the Temple, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Old MacDonald Had a Farm and If You're Happy and You Know it complete with actions.

The other night my dad was outside in the backyard playing with Charlie and Lily. It was getting dark and Grandpa was pulling them around in the wagon while they both sang Twinkle Twinkle at the top of their lungs as stars began appearing in the sky.

Charlie requests (demands?) a back tickle at bedtime and a song, usually I am a Child of God or "Charlie's song" (which is Mother, I Love You with the words changed to Charlie, I Love You) but sometimes they make him feel tenderhearted and he cries. What a sweet little soul. So I'll choose a more upbeat, playful song which seems to help.

He still hasn't tried to climb out of his crib, though I know he's tall and strong enough to do it. I'm grateful he's still willing to sleep in the crib, I think it makes everyone's lives a little easier for the time being. He can get out of the pack and play in a hot second, so naps and sleeping places other than at home are non-existent. He now practices headstands in his crib when he's going to sleep and when he wakes up- I know he's awake when I hear the thump... thump... thump... over and over again.

He loves building forts with blankets and hiding in them with flashlights. Lately, he wants us to all "go a-seep a-gevver" (translation: go to sleep together) in the fort. John and Charlie and I (and sometimes George) will lie down on a big pillow under his semi-permanent fort in his room and Charlie covers us all up with one blanket.

Charlie created this road all on his own


He's working on doing chores- putting his dishes in the sink, brushing teeth, being still for diaper changes, getting dressed, putting his boots and coat away.

Still a very sensitive and reluctant eater of new foods. We've been trying my friend's kiss it, lick it, bite it method with some success (lots of choosing to "kiss"the new food and sometimes we only can get him to smell it.)

Likes to perform songs on his musical instruments, clap for himself while saying "Bravo!" then bows and says, "Thank you, thank you!"




painting a picture

more painting

playing at the park


Charlie and I made cupcakes together for the first time and he was such a great little helper!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweetheart! I loved hearing about Charlie's song, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!