Friday, January 01, 2010

Resolutions and stuff

I feel like I am avoiding this little blog here. I don't know what it is, but I just don't find myself wanting to be here much recently. It could be just feeling overwhelmed from the holidays, but I haven't been taking as many pictures and I haven't been wanting to write much either. I have also taken to Tweeting and checking Facebook whenever I nurse Charlie to sleep so I have been internet-ing in other ways. My apologies for my absenteeism, dear readers.

I still want to update about Christmas and such, but I have been thinking about the hot topic of conversation both on- and off-line, namely, New Year's Resolutions.

When I think back on the last year, my major accomplishment was becoming a mother and getting to know this little person to whom I gave birth. It has been almost entirely a purely joyful experience (and those other non-joyful moments are totally worth it). Charlie has dominated 2009 and I will always remember it as the Year of the Che.

When I think forward to what 2010 has in store for me, I have a few desires. The number one goal dwarfs all others. This is the year I will finally graduate from college.

The path I took after I graduated high school was slightly non-traditional. I didn't attend college for 4 straight years, graduate, then venture into my first career job, then get married, then have a baby. I realize this is more of a cliche than an actuality but it is always how I saw my life going.

Instead, I attended school, juggled several part time jobs, traveled, dated John for 3 years before we married, fell into a career of campaign management and politics, worked full time off and on, got pregnant and had a baby. During all of this, I was attending school off and on. I never quit, I just didn't go straight through. I always had at least a semester of classes a year but there were many years where I took a whole semester off.

I've been calling it the Poky Little Puppy plan.

And now I am a full-time mom with a baby I can hardly tear myself away from, so to finish school is a huge feat. I look up to the women who do much more than that (working, parenting, school, sometimes all on their own) with awe because this is hard enough!

I have a great support system that allows me the opportunity to finish my education. I am thrilled to look ahead to August 2010 when I will finally do it!

What are your goals for 2010?

2 comments:

  1. Barb, I know you can do it and I'm proud of you for making it such a priority to finish. What a great accomplishment for yourself and a great example for your children too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! And consider us caretakers for Charlie if needed. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!