Monday, September 07, 2009

International Art Competition

Charlie and I joined with some ladies from our ward to visit the International Art Competition exhibit at the Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City. (He's such cultured infant).

The art was beautiful and innovative and the lobby of the Conference Center was a surprisingly wonderful setting! I took pictures of a lot of the pieces I liked, but there were so many that I'm planning on going back when Cat's in town.

Here's a little bit about the competition:
The Church History Museum has sponsored juried art competitions and exhibitions every three years since 1987 for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For this year’s event, 1,149 amateur and professional artists from 44 countries submitted entries. Nearly 200 artworks have been selected for the exhibition, which is being presented for the first time in the magnificent Conference Center. Visitors are invited to browse and enjoy the art and read the comments artists have provided about their pieces.

You can visit the exhibit up until General Conference (October 3-4) or view the pieces online.

There were so many incredible works of art (including a handmade, leather pop-up book!) and I took pictures of just a fraction of the ones that I loved! (Sorry for the quality, I only had my iPhone camera).


We Will See Each Other on the Other Side, by Jubal Aviles Saenz, Mexico


Flight, by Rose Datoc Dall, District of Columbia

The Mother of All Living, by Al Young, New Mexico.


Look to God and Live, by Julie Rogers, Pennsylvania


Gethsemane, by Adam Abrahm, Utah



Call Unto Your God, by Casey Lynn Childs, Wyoming


Swaddling, by Liz Swindle, Utah

The Greatest in the Kingdom, by J. Kirk Richards, Utah



Orion in the Night Sky, by Alane Sleight, Idaho (It's a quilt!)


My Peace I Give Unto You, by Steven Newman, Indiana

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I happened to google my painting "Flight," as it appears in random places and articles on the internet and was pleasantly surprised to see it posted on your blog. Thank you very much including it on your shortlist of images. That touched me. It still boggles my mind that strangers are aware of my work. God bless!

    Sincerely,
    Rose Datoc Dall

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!