Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Grateful...


(Charlie is on to my paparazzo ways)

... for these two. The past couple of days have been hard ones for me- a lot of little worries suddenly seemed large and overwhelming all at once. In between moments of despair and tears, I kept coming back to the incredible gratitude I feel for my blessings (which of course just made me cry more!)

Two days ago, my really tall and determined toddler was able to reach up onto the kitchen counter and pulled off a plate and a glass. They both shattered into razor-like shards, completely surrounding him. I ran to him and he ran away from me through the glass. I reached him just as he put a piece of glass into his mouth. I pulled it out his mouth and picked him up and ran into the bedroom where I could examine him closely. I didn't know if I had gotten all of the glass out of his mouth. He was crying but I couldn't tell if he was hurt or just scared and mad. As I put him on the changing table, I heard him GULP. I was so terrified that he had swallowed a shard of glass and it was tearing its way through his body. I looked him over carefully while praying that he would be fine. His mouth wasn't bloody, his feet and hands seemed unharmed and he had stopped crying. Although I was still shaken, I felt the Holy Ghost comforting me and I knew he was fine. I watched him carefully the rest of the day, just to be sure. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father watches over this imperfect parent and helps me and Charlie when we need it.

Everywhere I turn I am reminded of the Lord's bounteous generosity in my life. I am heartsick and mindful of the really hard experiences of those around me- a friend who buried her son yesterday, family members struggling with health and personal problems, friends looking for work, a neighbor fighting cancer, sub for santa service projects for battered single moms, and on and on (and on and on).

It shouldn't be hard for me to be continually grateful. But sometimes it is.

I have a healthy family. Our family is employed. We have a home to live in and food to eat. I have family and friends around me. And I have a loving Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ who have given me everything.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about that scare with charlie and the glass. That kind of stuff just happens and you did the right thing, like you always do, to take care of him. You are such an amazing mother and I also know that God is with you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be so scary at times I know! Jaxon got into my father in laws medication drawer and we came into high blood pressure medication in his hands. We took him to the ER and of course, he didn't eat them but still. I hate those experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the scariest story, Barb! It totally can be overwhelming to be a parent, O what would we do with Heavenly Father's constent help? Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!