Thursday, October 13, 2011

Watch out, Mama!

The other day I was driving with Charlie and George in the car when a cat ran across the road. I had to break very abruptly to avoiding hitting it. I looked back at a startled Charlie and explained to him why I stopped so sharply. I think I said something like, "A cat ran into the road and I had to stop the car quickly so I wouldn't hit him. But he ran away and he's okay now." We talked about it for a minute or two more then I changed the subject.

The several hours later, we were back in the car to go pick John up from work (we only have one car). Charlie kept saying something over and over and I was struggling to understand him. Suddenly, it clicked for me that he was saying, "Watch out, mama! Big cat in the street!" I told him that there wasn't a cat any more and that I would watch out and be careful. The rest of the evening and at least once a day since then he tells me to watch out, mama! Sometimes he tells me there are two cats in the street, sometimes it's dogs, but it's definitely a concept he has latched on to!

I love these conversations we have in the car together!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It's so amazing to me how children pick up on concepts like this and then play with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!